Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Evesdropping...

I found myself feeling sorry for a complete stranger today.  I was sitting at the doctors office waiting for my grandfather to be seen when a lady came in.  Nothing strange about this but I over heard the lady saying that she couldn't fill out the form because she can't read.  This lady was as old as my mom if not older and I couldn't help but wonder how she escaped school without the gift of knowing how to read.  How did/do educators allow this to happen?  She took the forms and went and did what she could.  She asked the guy sitting next to her for help and he ignored her.  At which point the lady from behind the counter came over to ask if she needed help and together they filled the papers out together.   If I had been sitting closer I would have helped this lady if the lady hadn't come from behind the counter.  I'm thankful that she saw this patient was in need and did her job by helping her.  Maybe the older gentleman had a reason for not wanting to help her... I'm not to say because I don't know him.. Maybe he's deaf!

On another note today proved to be a great day with my grandfather.  We drove all around half of south jersey ... sharing breakfast together and making sure to get flowers for my grandmother.  My grandfather is the one who is sick.... and yet he takes time today to remember that today is his 60th wedding anniversary and he wanted something to make her day better.  He's a great man and for this I find myself falling more in love with him as a rolemodle... I know i'm a lucky girl to have him!

No comments:

Post a Comment