Thursday, February 10, 2011

Alzheimer's

Today my world as it is known changed forever.  33 years of what I thought was a perfect life was completely changed.  My grandmother was diagnosed as having Alzheimer's... It's such an ugly term.  My grandfather has cancer and yet this doesn't bother me nearly as much as Alzheimer's.  Cancer can be fixed in a lot of cases, however there is no cure for Alzheimer's.  Yes there are medications that can be taken to help slow down the process but in the end there will be a day that my grandmother no longer knows me.  The idea of this saddens me.  None of this is my grandmothers fault, it's all part of getting old.  I can't say just yet how I will plan to handle any of this. 
After learning of this sad news I returned back to school to finish the day out.  I thought that by going back to school I would return back to 'normal' and be able to forget what is going on.  All was fine for about 15 minutes when someone wanted their pencil sharpened.  All normal things in first grade!  However when I went to plug the sharpener in it no longer works.  I'm not sure what happened but this caused me to break down and to sob in my classroom.  Thank God for a strong little girl in my room she was able to go and get another adult to take over for a me.  What a day!  Every day from today will be a new challenge and I look forward to this battle... because it will be a fight from here on!

No comments:

Post a Comment